Re: Plugin System

On Mon, Sep 22, 2003 at 02:15:10PM +0200, Jon K?re Hellan wrote:
> >===== Original Message From <msevior physics unimelb edu au> =====
> >
> >However we should also have the option of waiting until first execution
> >for actually loading the plugin.
> >
> >This defers the startup speed hit until the plugin actually needed, while
> >making sure that user knows the plugin is available from the menu
> >structure.
>
> For the general case, this sounds right.
>
> However, administrators and users who want to deploy site local or user
> personal plugins may be willing to accept slower startup if a plugin can be a
> single file.

I'm not clear what you mean by 'a single file'.
To date gnumeric has assumed that a plugin consisted of a directory
with a key file describing what service implementations it
contained, details of how to load it (python vs g_module), and
service specific information.  That way we're free to include
translations or glade files as necessary.

Should we be planning for lockdown features ?