Re: some news...

On Mon, 2002-05-20 at 07:20, Rui Miguel Silva Seabra wrote:
> ... not so good (at least) for us...
>
> http://linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2002-05-20-004-26-NW-DT-SW

Hmm.  That really depends on how you look at it.  I think saying
this development is bad news for gnome-office is short sighted.
Consider, Ximian is one of the largest contributors to Gnome
development and is also one of the most effective groups
at promoting the Linux desktop.  This StarOffice deal will bring
more money to Ximian and help increase the adoption for the
Gnome desktop.  Both of these things will be good for gnome-office
in the long term.

We know that Gnome-office doesn't have a lot of the functionality
that MS Office users want.  StarOffice is a lot closer.  We just
need to stay focused and make Gnome Office a good competitor to
MS Office.  I'm sure that if we develop a thoroughly compatible
and feature comparable office suite, we'll have no trouble
getting it adopted by distributions and users.

	Miles