Re: Gnome Office summary from the Gnome Summit.

Quoting Steve Fox <drfickle k-lug org>:

> On Thu, 2002-07-25 at 23:51, Martin Sevior wrote:
> >
> > I guess I was thinking of a launch new document application where
> you can
> > choose a WP document, a spreadsheet a database ala MS Office.
>
> What about adding "Create New" to the Actions menu with all the
> various
> document types in a sub-menu ala right-click in Windows Explorer?

I think this is a great idea, I'm hoping to get such a feature going in
GNOME in general (not just for GNOME office) that would allow
applications to register "tasks" the user can perform, including a
special category of "Create New Document" sort of tasks. The task menu
would come with a number of generic tasks like "Check Mail", "Browse the
Web" and "Create new Spreadsheet" which programs can register themselves
as being able to handle. Of course, these can't just launch the
application: they actually need to start performing the task in question
(!). It will also allow applications to add new tasks, though I hope to
establish good guidelines so there won't be a flood of tasks like
"Launch MySuperCoolApp" *grin*.

-Seth