Re: Gnome Office summary from the Gnome Summit.

On Thu, 2002-07-25 at 02:57, Martin Sevior wrote:

> Hi everyone,
> 	   Here are my notes fromt the Gnome Office session of the Gnome
> summit in plain text form. Since many of the people involved in these
> projects could not make it to the summit I thought it was important
> to write everything up. I think the the number one thing Gnome Office
> needs right now is a person committed to working and advocating
> integration between the various projects.
>
> Now that the Gnome 2 platform has been delivered maybe some people who
> have been concentrating on "platform issues" might like to look at these
> "integration issues". We came up with many ideas of how we can do better
> than the competition by integrating these large applications right into
> the desktop environment.

Though I am very supportive of gnumeric and abiword, and should say up
front that I was, regrettably, unable to attend the GNOME-Office talk
due to a schedule conflict, I am a bit sorry to see almost no mention of
OpenOffice.org in these minutes.

OO.o is at the moment the biggest single free-software office suite
available, and arguably the most complete; as such it is very relevant
to the goal of a "top notch office productivity package" integrated in
to the GNOME desktop.

Of course there have been grumblings about the non-gtk-centered toolkit
in OO.o, but that's partly legacy and partly a response to the need for
a cross-platform solution (though of gtk+ is available on Win32 now).
But certainly choice is good, and I hope that whatever
integration/interop work takes place for GNOME Office continues to
target OOo as a key component.  Certainly OOo itself is making progress
towards better GNOME integration with things like its theming and
upcoming accessibility support.

regards,

-Bill