Re: Abiword & Gnome (was: Re: What is GNOME office?)

On Tue, 21 Nov 2000, Joaquin Cuenca Abela wrote:

> --- Martin Sevior <msevior mccubbin ph unimelb edu au>
> wrote:
> > The first thing you have to remember is that Abi is
> > C++ program that uses
> > straight GTK+. There is no support in Libglade for
> > this approach.
>
> why?
>
> Dom has advocating the use of libglade because it
> reduces
> the time needed to code a dialog, and makes the code
> (1 line)
> more maintenable :)
> C++ don't change that.

Hi Joaquin,
	   Well I admit I was looking for a reason to make a post showing
actual code from AbiWord. This discussion appears to involve some
education of the Gnome folks on why Abi is so cool. So:

1. I wanted to show everyone the advantages of the Abi- Gnome framework
you wrote.

2. I wanted to show people that we really do use direct calls to Gnome
libs and we make direct use of Gnome features. There is no virtual GUI
that is interpreted by another layer. We call straight into gnome-libs.

3. I'm as lazy a programmer as the next person but writing a gnome front
end to a gtk dialog is really easy. Not quite as easy as Dom's example
though but cutting a pasting a bit of code from a previous dialog is not
that
hard.

4. I really don't know much about libGlade and thought the fact that we
have to pass "this" pointers to static callback functions to address our
dialog member functions was beyond the scope of LibGlade. If that is not
the case I'd be very happy to be corrected.

Cheers

Martin