[discuss] Announcement : Starting UNO-CORBA bridge development for GNOME-desktop integration

Subject: [discuss] Announcement : Starting UNO-CORBA bridge development for
GNOME-desktop integration
id MAA13813

Hello,

I would like to announce, that Juergen Schmidt and I have started the
development of an UNO-CORBA bridge.

The main goal is to get a CORBA-bridge that supports all features
necessary to communicate with the GNOME desktop ( see www.gnome.org ).
The component model used in GNOME is BONOBO, which is built on top of
ORBIT, an open source CORBA ORB (Object Request Broker). A CORBA-UNO
bridge would e.g. allow to script OpenOffice with a GNOME scripting
language.

The secondary goal is to develop a 'generic' CORBA-UNO-bridge, that
allows to communicate with an arbitrary ORB. This would allow OpenOffice
to seamlessly integrate into any CORBA environment.

However, bridging UNO and CORBA is no trivial task, as both component
models are based on different fundamental concepts. Therefor we want to
write down the ideas about how to deal with these fundamental differences
before beginning implementation. We have therefor setup a webpage :

http://udk.openoffice.org/common/man/concept/uno_corba.html

It currently contains only some aspects we will have to deal with. The
document is supposed to grow rapidly during the next weeks. Any input on
this from the community is very welcome.

Any follows-ups please

openoffice.udk.dev

Greetings, Juergen and Joerg