Antw: Re: [gnome-network]Gnom-Remote-Shell future direction

Hi Ross,

I fully understand your concerns and for people like us it is clear that
a remote shell is basically still a shell.

But my thoughts about g-r-s were the follogin:
GNOME itself is a Desktop Environment and most people are working on a
Windows Desktop Today. A very common question for Windows Admins is "How
can I remote control Host XYZ". This is the target audience I had in
mind.

However. I think you teached me that it is better to combine both tools,
but it has to be well designed from an usability perspective.

The idea of adding a command line parameter and simply adding another
.desktop file helps to satisfy people that want "two" applications.

Ulrich

On **., 2004-01-25 at 18:52 +0100, Ulrich Neumann wrote:
> I don't like this idea because people that work on a GUI most of the
> time prefer a "Putty" like tool to get remote access to other systems.
> This includes access to other systems like NetWare and Windows as
well.

I don't understand. Please define 'people that work on a GUI'.

With all due respect, I would have to disagree about preferring to
download Putty. I hate having to download Putty every time I'm on a
Windows PC somewhere, and I need 'remote access to other systems'.

> Otherwise people need to open a Terminal before they can open a remote
> shell. I think many people don't find this way because it is not
> intuitive.

Again, I'd have to disagree. I think it is far more intuitive to have
SSH/telnet (and hopefully one day, even serial comms a.l.a. Minicom/
HyperTrm) in one place than to have to go find out which tool you need
and then have to download, install and configure it.

The only reason I can think of for not merging the two would be platform
bloat, but I think that it would be minimal, and that while SSH and
telnet are the lingua-franca of network terminal protocols, the benefits
of merging outweigh the bloat argument.

Regards,

--
Ross