[gnome-network]Confusion Using Remote Desktop

First, wow! I just installed Debian and Gnome 2.4. It's been a couple of years since I have had the extra time in my life to be much of a home linux user, so it has been a while since I have played much with Gnome.

Basically, I am amazed. Gnome has become a very impressive desktop. I always believed it would get there, just didn't realize it had gotten this far.

Anyhow, now to my issue. :)

I just started playing with Gnome Remote Desktop. It's pretty neat. However, I am having some issues that I hope you guys might be able to help me resolve.

First, here is some background. As I am a debian user, everything here will be described in a bit of debianese, which I apologize for.

So I decide I wanted to start playing with Remote Desktop, discover there is a Gnome frontend for the whole thing, and decide to try that instead. So I find the correct Debian packages, which I believe are grdesktop and rdesktop, and get it all installed.

So I logout and back in again to refresh the menus (which I would love to know if there is a way around without the logout/in). And I discover two different menu items for Remote Desktop Client.

When I study them a little further, I discover the following:

	Instance 1: executable file is gnome-remote-desktop
	From Debian Package: gnome-network
	Executable Version 1.99.5

	Instance 2: executable file is grdesktop
	From Debian Package: grdesktop (depended on rdesktop)
	Executable Version: 0.20

That's all great - I figure the newer version should be pretty, better, etc. And indeed, it radiates the sleek and sexiness that comes from all new, HIG-improved, etc, gnome applications.

However, the REALLY CRUDDY part is that the older version seems to be working better for me!

Here are some of my issues/observations:

1. The new version of GRD will only connect to my Windows XP box with a color depth of 8-bit. The old version will do 16-bit, which is what I was expecting to be the max.

2. I also notice that the older version has a nice little dropdown box that let's me pick between Windows NT/2000 and Windows XP/2003. I notice that when I set this to NT/2000, I can only connect at 8-bit. But when I set this to XP/2003, I get full, pretty 16-bit color.

3. Entering my password in the initial connection dialog for the NEW version of GRD seems to accomplish nothing - a Windows login dialog still comes up and makes me enter my password, though the username is at least populated as I would expect.

4. The OLD version has a checkbox to indicate "Save my password". Whatever the security implications may be, this is something I would use in the new version (except that it's missing).

5. Neither version seems to allow for sound to work in any way, though the new version presents a dialog box that is greyed out.

6. Lastly, the older version seems to have about 4 more options that seem to have been eliminated in the new version. This is not exactly a bug, but I am not sure why eliminating them would be a good thing. These missing options include:

    A. Checkbox: Hide window manager decorations
    B. Checkbox: Disable encryption (French TS)
    C. Checkbox: Attach to console (>= Windows 2003)
    D. And a place to enter a Fake clientname

 (At least the first three options seem potentially useful,
  though I have no clue what "Attach to console" does. :)

Anyhow, I don't mean to present a big gripe list - Gnome is awesome and I can tell how much hard work has been put into it. However, I figured some of you might be able to help me resolve my issues.

I also thought this would be valuable feed back from a user.

Thanks for your time. If this is a RTFM question, please just point me to the FM. :)

--

Paul Joseph Thompson
captbunzo squirrelmail org