Re: [gnome-network]GNetworkTransferManager

On Sun, 2003-09-21 at 22:16, Manuel Clos wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Rodrigo Moya wrote:
> > That is, I was thinking we could have a GNetworkTransferManager class in
> > libgnetwork (Transfer, because, as we said, we want to support both
> > uploads and downloads), which manages the different transfers, and which
> > can be used by other apps (our transfer manager UI, epiphany/galeon,
> > MIME actions components, etc).
>
> My idea of other apps using the transfer manager was to build a simple
> bonobo client to the daemon, so that the client takes care of connecting
> and interacting with the daemon. Then any app that wants to
> download/upload something is presented with some methods. This is what I
> have in downman right now:

This is internal to the libgnetwork class we talked about. Apps should
not have to talk CORBA directly to access the daemon. Just use the
libgnetwork provided interfaces.

> module GNOME {
>
>      interface DownloadManager : Bonobo::Unknown {
>
>          void newDownload (string url);
>      };
> };

hmm, that seems like too little. how would you tell the daemon to
start/stop a download?

> Of course, this bonobo client also shows a GUI so that the user can
> control the properties of the download/upload. Then the interface also
> needs _events_ so that the program requesting the download/upload is
> notified when it is finished.

so, your component implements everything? Apps just activate it and
leave its UI do its job?

If so, I dont like this plan, sorry :-) The daemon should just not have
any UI at all. And it should contain methods for giving it orders (start
a download, resume it, pause it, etc).

> About epiphany, I talked with the developers a while ago and got to the
> conclusion of implementing a plugin for epiphany that will call the
> bonobo client. This is because there is already a simple download
> manager built into epiphany. Of course, it will be great if epiphany
> uses the gnome-network download manager if it is installed.

well, let's first do it, and then we can propose them to use it :-)

> > Of course, the GNetworkTransferManager is just an idea, but the whole
> > thing is to have the basic functionality in the library, so that it can
> > be reused.
> >
> > What do you think?
>
> It is just as easy as implementing the bonobo thing, since (using
> downman as the base to gnome-network donwload manager) there is already
> the daemon and the utility lib for clients (connect, add downloads,
> ...), and the GUI is just the one Gnome Download Manager presents you
> when you hit the "New download" option.

could you please send a detailed mail of the downman architecture? I
should have looked at the code, but days only have 24 hours :-) So,
please do it, so that we all know what we're talking about.

> I have already implemented the Servers feature in downman, so you can
> now limit how many connections you want to a specific server. I will now
> get on internacionalization support and moving to gnome-vfs.

> But it seems that Rodney Dawes is going to implement it in
> gnome-network, so at this point it seems that downman is not considered
> for going into gnome-network. I have requested before in the list
> comments about downman, but got no response.
>
> Has Rodney looked at downman? What are the problems with it?
>
> Has it been considered for inclusion?

yes, it is being. Although, based on what you say, it seems it's got a
lot of problems. I'll shut up though until you send your mail about its
architecture.

cheers