Re: [gnome-network]GTransferManager Architecture

Il mar, 2003-09-30 alle 16:38, Rodrigo Moya ha scritto:
> On Thu, 2003-09-25 at 16:04 -0400, Rodney Dawes wrote:
> > I've got the basics of The Project Formerly Known as Emphetamine (TM)
> > ported over to gnome-network. In the process of doing so, I've been
> > pondering about how things will need to interact together. And, I've
> > come to realize how painful it will be if the lowest common denominator
> > of a back-end is display-dependent. So, I think we may need something of
> > a "middle-man" to sit on top of the back-end, and then the front-ends
> > will talk to this middle-man, which will handle the necessary
> > display-dependent bits of the transfer manager, such as doing some of
> > the notification area interaction, popping up a file-selector if need
> > be, authentication dialogs, and similar other minor GUI tasks.
> >
> > What do people think about this?
> >
> >             +--> DISPLAY=:0.0 manager <--> DISPLAY=:0.0 front-end
> > back-end <--+
> >             +--> DISPLAY=:1.0 manager <--> DISPLAY=:1.0 front-end
> >
> > This is basically how the interaction would probably go, between the
> > different processes. I'd like to get any potentially useful feedback,
> > before fully implementing all of this. So, let's have it. :)
> >
> hmm, how would the communication be between all parts?

In the diagram above, clients (the front-ends) would connect to the
middle-man (the manager), which proxies stuff between the back-end,
and the clients, in a display-dependent manner, so that we can have
multiple display support, and a single actual transfer managing daemon.

-- dobey