Re: [gnome-network]patch for integrating the gnome system tools with gnome-netinfo

On Mon, 2003-12-15 at 17:58, William Jon McCann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This is a good idea.
>
> I think it would be a bit better to:
>
> - make the network tool configurable via gconf [1]
>
> - add redhat-config-network to the default list of configuration tools
> to search for (as a convenience to many users)

instead of the GConf entry, I'd vote for looking in the code for a list
of pre-defined commands. That is, see if network-admin is in the path,
if not, look for redhat-config-network, if not....

> - hide the configure button for the loopback device since it cannot be
> configured

right

> - remove unused variable iface from on_configure_button_clicked()
>
> You can take a look at gnome-netstatus for examples of the first two items.
>
> Thanks,
> Jon
>
> [1] This brings up an interesting problem.  Mark's netstatus applet does
> the same thing.  Very possibly there are other places that also do this
> too.  Is there a GNOME-wide place to store such things once, rather than
> per application?  I think there should be.  Otherwise, configuring this
> would be a real pain for sysadmins.

well, do we really need a GConf key for this? The user should not have
to know which config tool she is going to use, right? I guess a better
solution is to search for a pre-defined list of commands.

cheers