Re: [gnome-network]Download manager

On Sun, 2003-08-31 at 19:53 +0200, Manuel Clos wrote:
> tapia wrote:
> > That's how I think a modern download manager would be, taking as model
> > the Windows program GetRight:
>
> Well, look at FlashGet and other donwload managers. FlashGet is not very
> HIG compliant but has most of the features.
>
> BTW, have you looked at downman (Gnome Download Manager) ?

I did try it some weeks ago. Although I haven't used it much.

> > * Control Window for each download.
> >
> > This window shows more info about the download, and let the user "play"
> > with the download segments: change the mirror, add more segments...
>
> I'm not sure if this is needed for the main application. There is
> already a "Properties" dialog in gdownman. But it will be useful for
> epiphany and such.
>
> > Here you can see a GetRight control window:
> >
> > www.eitig.com/~tapia/capturas/getright.jpg
>
> Yeah, really ugly. Take a look at gdownman:
>
> http://downman.sourceforge.net/#Screenshots
>
> I can do some more screenshots of gdownman if you really don't want to
> install it.
>
> In addition you haven't talked about:
>
> - having multiple projects so you can categorize your downloads
> 	- speed limit per project
> 	- default directory per project
> 	- max simultaneous downloads per project

hmm, projects? I don't see the point of this, so please explain :-)

> - speed limit per download (that plays nicely with the project speed limit)
> 	- downloads can be queued: they are downloaded when the simultaneous
> downloads is not at the limit.
>
> - recursive downloads
> 	- simple at the moment, this needs a especial tree-like project in
> gdownman to handle it well, so you can download web sites in an easy way.

yes, this makes a lot of sense

> All the above is _already_ done in downman, please take a look.
>
> I'm currently implementing per server downloads limit, this is, you will
> be able to limit the number of simultaneous connections to
> ftp://ftp.gnome.org.
>
> About _inclusion_ in gnome-network, I'm not sure at the moment, downman
> is coming big and I would like someone to develop a KDE client. About
> gnome-network _integration_, for sure :)

well, if it's not included in gnome-network, then, how do you do that
integration?

> Anyway, if you want to really start another project, define some IDL so
> programs can operate with different download managers seamlessly.

yes, this could make a lot of sense. We don't really want to start a new
project, and that's why we were looking at emphetamine. But what we want
is to have a download manager in gnome-network. This is something that
must be in the core desktop, and since gnome-network will be included in
GNOME core for 2.6, we need to have it.

I've CC'ed Rodney, who is emphetamine developer, and who is doing some
refactoring code on emphetamine before including it in gnome-network. I
guess we can come to a shared solution.

But really, gnome-network needs a download manager. Which reminds me
that we don't only need a download manager, but a transfer manager,
since, as Rodney told me yesterday on IRC, we also want to allow users
to upload files, or to make copies of files between remote machines.

cheers