[GNOME-my]Temuramah dengan Alan Cox

rujuk http://www.itwales.com/cgi/showsite/showpage.cgi?998973

Temuramah dengan Alan Cox, berkenaan MBAnya kegiatan membelajar bahasa welsh untuk membantu isterinya menterjemah GNOME

_Welsh_ _language_ _computing_

Nevertheless, Cox is keeping his hand in; he's in touch with colleagues at Red Hat, and occasionally does some technical work for the project translating the KDE and Gnome desktop environments into Welsh. It's being undertaken by KGyfieithu, a project his wife Telsa Gwynn is heavily involved in.

Cox's involvement is fairly limited - as an intermediate Welsh learner, his main task is to supply the Welsh language speakers with a steady stream of tea. He is also, he admits, the token right-hander.

A graduate of the University of Wales Swansea, Cox is a lifetime member of the Swansea University Computer Society (SUCS), and has used his time on campus to effect a rollout of a Welsh language desktop for the SUCS machines over the Christmas break.

"We're one up on the University for once!" he says with not a little glee.

Universities are just one of the places where Welsh language computing is valuable, he says. Often, people react with surprise at the mention of computers running in Welsh, simply because they never thought of it as a possibility.

But it's a movement gaining increasing support; the Welsh Assembly Government is committed to supporting a bilingual society, and for non-native Welsh speakers, switching to a Welsh desktop environment is one of the quickest ways to learn. Cox himself runs a Welsh PC for that very reason.

He comments: "My computer speaks much better Welsh than I do, and occasionally I dive for the dictionary to find out where a menu item has gone, but it's a learning thing."

Introducing Welsh language software could also address elements of the digital divide. Cox says: "People like Rhoslyn Prys at Canolfan Bedwyr very much see it as computing and the Internet are the future. So from their point of view, if there's not Welsh language computing, then in the future there will not be a Welsh language. They see it that black and white."

As to his own progress with Welsh, Cox says: "I can hold my own in a conversation providing it's a simple one and providing the Welsh speaker is aware I'm a learner. I'm by no means fluent - if you've been learning a language for a year, you can struggle through bits of newspaper, you could probably read most of the news as long as you have a dictionary handy, but the spoken stuff I find much more challenging; I can't listen to S4C and understand it - I pick bits out, and some of the rugby commentary I can follow, but that's it."

http://www.itwales.com/cgi/showsite/showpage.cgi?998973

--
Hasbullah Bin Pit (sebol)

"Fiber optic tu kecik, kalau kita letak high speed internet 312 Kbps tu,
 nanti fiber tu pecah." -  1-300-88-9515