Re: Replacing esd with gstreamer

On Mon, 2006-03-27 at 08:52 +0200, Xavier Bestel wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Le dimanche 26 mars 2006 �0:57 -0800, Ian Burrell a �it :
> > I was looking at http://live.gnome.org/GStreamer/esd. I did some
> > investigation and I think I see how this can be accomplished.  My
> > impression is that the principal goal is migrating the simple sound
> > playing API in libgnome to use gstreamer to play sound files and
> > samples. I am volunteering to make this happen.
>
> How do you plan to handle network transparency (using $DISPLAY) with
> gstreamer

I think the idea would be that people use the GStreamer esdsink when
they want network transparency. One thing that has been discussed
earlier in regards to this is the fact that esound caches sound samples
today to conserve bandwith/better latency, so if you have various 'ding'
sounds for applications they will be cached in the sound server. If we
want to keep that around with GStreamer then a GStreamer abstraction API
to handle it needs to be made. I don't think the creation of such an API
should be a blocker for Ian doing this switch though.

I for one would be very happy if you manage to take care of this
migration Ian.

Christian