Re: Audio Server Strategy Idea Braindump

<quote who="Ronald S. Bultje">

> On Thu, 2004-03-11 at 05:48, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> >   * Encourage distributors to take up jackd as the local audio server of
> >   choice, as it gives the 'linux desktop platform' story an advanced
> >   audio API for multimedia and gaming use.
>
> Had to think for this for a while, but I think I like this. Jackd is
> definately the audio server of choice for the pros, even if only because
> they wrote it as such. It's probably worth adopting it so that we can say
> that we have one shared daemon that we all like.

Yeah, this would be rad. We probably have more leverage to get the distros
shipping it than the pro-audio dudes do right now, too.

> So sticking to the ESD API actually means that we will face some of the
> problems that we're now facing, too. For exactly that reason! So it's
> probably not a very good idea.

I kinda agree with Thomas on this point; it can probably just be extended.
We do need to keep API/ABI compat, and there's really no point talking about
GNOME 3.0 yet, especially as an excuse. :-)

> So I guess my main suggestion here is to choose something different from
> ESD as your wrapper API in GNOME.

Sure, if we can reliably talk to jackd via libgnome without another daemon,
esd ends up fairly irrelevant - except for the network stuff. There's a few
jackd network things going on, but I'm not sure if they'll be appropriate or
dynamically configurable. We'll have to look into that, too.

- Jeff

   He'd never undressed a woman with his eyes. Perhaps army boots, school
                uniform, or a nightie, but never undressed.