Re: GNOME-media on the road to 2.4.0

Le mer 31/12/2003 à 23:57, Richard Stallman a écrit :
>     Well we have two non-free plugins currently for GStreamer that
>     I know of. One for the Shorten audio format and one for the Monkey's
>     audio format. Both of them is free beer with source however.
>
> I am not really sure what that means.  Are they free software?
> If so, what licenses do they have?

Shorten is open source (as in "you can get a tarball containing the
source files"), but it forbids you to use it in a commercial product,
and it's not saying much about redistribution of modified source iirc.
The Shorten plugin is only a decoder, I wrote it because I wanted to
convert Shorten files to a free format (flac) using a free framework
(GStreamer). The Shorten plugin isn't distributed with gstreamer or
gst-plugin but lives in a separate cvs module

Christophe