RE: gnome-multimedia digest, Vol 1 #99 - 1 msg

Comes standard with RH9...

> > For instance, I was able to ugrade XMMS and get it to play
> MP3s, but I
> > cannot get mplayer to play _anything_.
>
> PEBCAK...

Actually, no. It depends VERY much on what is in your system.

> > What is actually needed are "standard formats" that are GPL
> licensed, rather
> > than the code to interpret them. It would be great if a
> certain few vendors
> > would simply put their standard formats in the Public
> Domain, without giving
> > up the rights to any of the code to read or write them. If
> we can write a
> > better program (that doesn't infringe their patent to their
> code) - great.
> > Maybe we can then sell the program back or to some other
> comapny or put it
> > in the Public Domain ourseleves - our choice.
>
> You can't license a format under the GPL, that's not what it's for. We
> need patent-free formats, and work is under way for those.

I said "standard formats in the Public Domain" not GPL...

Lee Parker

It is by coffee alone I set my mind in motion.
It is by the beans of java that thoughts acquire speed.
The hands acquire trembling.
The trembling becomes a warning.
It is by coffee alone I set my mind in motion.

-- Frank Herbert