Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] monkey-media future

On Thu, 2003-07-31 at 19:04, Colin Walters wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-07-31 at 12:48, Bastien Nocera wrote:
>
> > > - metadata retrieval
> >
> > It's there in some way for the currently being played stream, and will
> > also be in the object. It doesn't do writing though. But I hope Thomas
> > will clear that for us soon with his own library.
>
> This is a blocker for Rhythmbox at least; we need to be able to retrieve
> metadata even for non-playing streams.  This is used while loading the
> library, for example.
>
> > The main point of the "new design" is to:
> > - remove X deps when not needed (no visible video output, music playback
> > without visualisation) -> Object
> > - headers/API cleanups
>
> What I mainly want to see is something sort of like monkey-media, with
> its separated playback and metadata retrieval GObjects, but with the
> visualization features of BaconVideoWidget.

You could do that with the object (already possible with the widget, see
the nautilus properties window), but a separate dedicated library is a
better idea IMO, and I would probably want to use it for my other
projects (qahog in particular).

Furthermore, I don't think that metadata writing/updating really has its
place in the VideoObject/Widget. This is the other part of monkey-media
that we'd need to replace/move/update.

Thomas, what's your take on this part?

--
Bastien Nocera <hadess hadess net>