Re: GtkMediaPlayer widget

On Tue, 2003-12-16 at 10:15, Lee Braiden wrote:
> My point is that we don't need to abstract the abstractions.  We should pick a
> good solution, and integrate it 100%.  If we don't decide on a solution, but
> instead provide abstractions to hedge our bets, all we're doing is adding
> layers of inefficiency.

Good point. I recall KDE having the same discussion when they proposed
to integrate GStreamer into arts (i.e. provide a Arts-based wrapper on
top of GStreamer, then provide another KDE wrapper on top of arts for
the videospecific stuffies, and also some more wrappers here and there
to keep the wrapper ratio at an acceptable level).

I'm not sure about others, but I didn't particularly like it, no. You
lose a **lot** of functionality in these abstractions, and if you use
more than the abstractions (as Ryan proposes), then what's the use of
the abstraction? It won't be "portable" anymore...

Video doesn't belong in Gtk+, that's my opinion.

Ronald

--
Ronald Bultje <rbultje ronald bitfreak net>
Linux Video/Multimedia developer