Re: Helix Player virtual team meeting
- From: Matthew Garrett <mjg59-ddl srcf ucam org>
- To: Rob Lanphier <robla real com>
- Cc: Julien MOUTTE <julien moutte net>, Lee Braiden <jel ntlworld com>, Ryan Gammon <rgammon real com>, gnome-multimedia gnome org, gnome-devel-list gnome org, gnome-list gnome org, desktop-devel-list gnome org, gstreamer-devel lists sf net, licensing open helixcommunity org
- Subject: Re: Helix Player virtual team meeting
- Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 00:53:19 +0000
On Wed, Dec 10, 2003 at 12:48:59PM -0800, Rob Lanphier wrote:
> Note that the OSI has certified the RPSL.
Debian (along with the FSF) still, to the best of my knowledge, consider
the RPSL non-Free. Until this is rectified, including RPSL licensed code
in any large Free project is going to result in a sufficiently massive
shitstorm that using another media framework is significantly more
likely to happen.
Simply put, without massive technological advantages, the pragmatic
benefits of using something other than Helix outweigh the bad feeling
that using it would cause. If you're serious about wanting Helix to be
integrated into Gnome, then concentrate on alleviating that bad feeling
rather than simply stating that the OSI have approved the license -
there's a very large set of people who trust other bodies more when it
comes to determining the Freeness of something.
Matthew Garrett | mjg59 srcf ucam org
] [Thread Prev