Re: GNOME mixer 'feature'

On Mon, 2003-08-25 at 14:03, Luis Villa wrote:
> On Sun, 2003-08-24 at 18:00, Ted Gould wrote:
> > Okay,
> >
> > So I've been chasing down issues with the labels in the mixer, and it
> > turns out that there are names of the various sliders stored in GConf.
> > This is kind of annoying for internationalization, and I can't figure
> > out what anyone would use it for.  Is there anyone out there changing
> > the names of the sliders in the mixer?
>
> I do on my laptop- the default names of some of them are pretty cracked
> out. I'm not sure that I'm a general use-case, though. [Where are those
> gotten from in the first place, anyway? kernel-land?]

Thats why I change them too.
Once you get into using Alsa 9 in the mixer there is going to be a
million more controls with even weirder names like "IEC958 TTL". Now I
have no idea what that means or what its ever used for, but someone
somewhere might need it and want a more friendly name than that :)

The names come from Kernel land. For ALSA it can have any name, for OSS
I think there's only 10 names or something dumb like that. For OSS I
seem to remember that they're hard coded somewhere in the code.

iain
--
"Miss Celine Dion sings lovesongs while our cities burn"