Re: GNOME-media on the road to 2.4.0

On Wed, Aug 13, 2003 at 06:14:56PM +0200, Christian Fredrik Kalager Schaller wrote:
> Secondly we have now started this drive
> to relicense applications to the LGPL, starting with gst-player that we
> have relicened and which next release will be LGPL

If you think that is necessary, then nobody shipping GNOME, GIMP,
Gnumeric, AbiWord, OpenOffice, Evolution, etc. can also ship the
patented codecs. Unless gstreamer's usage is confined to only the
media player.

At that point I would request that you put the patented codecs in a
"gstreamer-nonus" package or something if you haven't, so we don't
have to munge your tarball (if we can't ship the patented stuff, we
can't even ship the source; so we have to break open the tarball,
munge it, and repack it).

Of course "nonus" is looking less and less likely to be accurate, the
EU appears to be on the verge of adopting software patents.

Havoc