Re: GNOME-media on the road to 2.4.0

Bastien:

> Read again the e-mail Havoc sent you, and think before sending an
> answer. You're only spreading misconceptions.

Wouldn't it be appropriate to share Havoc's perspective on this
public mail alias as well?  Since I was asked to bring up this issue
by Christian Shaller of the gstreamer team, any misconceptions I
am sharing are misconceptions that are held by at least some of
the gstreamer team as well.  In other words, I am not trying to
be a loose cannon.  I am trying to help the gstreamer team to
address an issue that they consider to be serious.  Christian did
not have time to email the list, so he asked me to do so for him.

My understanding is that these concerns were highlighted during
a conversation that the gstreamer team had with RMS.  While I
understand that RMS may have a strict and convservative view
of the GPL, his perspective probably does matter since he is the
author of the license.  Havoc's perspective of the GPL seems
consdierably more lax, but I don't know whose perspective is
correct.

I just chatted with Christian on IRC, and I believe he is planning
to respond to this thread with more information about the dialog
the gstreamer team has had with RMS in the past.

I do not believe I am trying to spread misconceptions here.  By
discussing this issue in an open forum, I hope to gain a better
understanding of the issue.  I assume that if I have any
misconceptions, this is an appropriate place to have those
misconceptions cleared away.

Brian