libid3tag vs. libid3

Hi people, I was looking at the libid3tag library (that is using
rhythmbox) and I can only see basic fields available (the ones from
ID3V1), it can read / write (I think) the ID3V1 && ID3V2 header but it
does not use the new ID3V2 fields (like the image encoding that lets us
store/retrieve an album photo), thus, I was looking for other libid3tag
libraries available and I found the libid3 one, it's written using C++
but has a C interface. I was talking about it at #rhythmbox channel and
Bastien told me that he does not like the idea of use libid3 because
it's an overengineered c++ library.

Any idea/suggestion about this issue?

Cheers.
--