Coaster development news...

Hey guys,
  I went ahead and sent this to gnome-media so that those guys can give
their input.

  I just wanted to touch base with everyone in the community about
Coaster's plans and developmental status as of current. libcdburn and
Coaster have been almost in gridlock the past couple of months. However
this is going to change do to two talented coders.
  Ben Jansens and Derek Foreman have been working on a library project
called libburn. The advantages that libburn has over the libcdburn
library is that it is 98% fresh code. libcdburn was only a port of the
c++ version of cddao to c. Already libburn is able to copy such games
like Diablo2. This is something no other application has been able to do
in linux thus far. Here are a few questions already answered.

1) What does this bring to Gnome, Linux, and Coaster?
  It brings something totally free, totally usable, and totally
portable. Plans are in the horizon to offer bindings for c++, python, c#
and even a bonobo layer. This allows not only gnome and coaster to
benefit, but also KDE and even console apps.

2) So what will happen with the old libcdburn code?
  We will merge what we can into libburn. Since t was just a port of
cddao, there will be very little we can save.

3) Is it going to be called libcdburn or just libburn?
  The name is undecided. Since both projects/efforts are being combined,
a new new should be thought up and used. We are looking for suggestions.

4) What about Coaster the gui?
  Coaster will use use the new library to its limits. For those of you
wanting details on features, here are a few. Coaster will be able to
burn not only audio and data cds, but also a data/audio combo cd. Future
plans include dvd burning and vcd burning. You will be able to preview
your audio/video using the gstreamer package.

5) How much work has to be done on coaster/libburn before we get a
release?
  A lot in fact. libburn will not only undergo a name change, but will
also undergo a lot of debugging and a few more features will be added.
Coaster is undergoing another rewrite as I was not happy with the code I
was getting. However the interface will stay basically the same as what
is pictured on our homepage.

6) Wow, sounds like a ton of work...can I help?
  Always...help is always needed in the debugging department or with
patches. We will try to get a few more mainstream developers on board
the team.

7) Cool...where can I get copies of the code for the project/s?
  Coaster and old libcdburn code is on sourceforge cvs here:

cvs -d:pserver:anonymous cvs sourceforge net:/cvsroot/coaster login
cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous cvs sourceforge net:/cvsroot/coaster co
coaster

And libcdburn is:

cvs -d:pserver:anonymous cvs sourceforge net:/cvsroot/coaster login
cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous cvs sourceforge net:/cvsroot/coaster co
libcdburn

As for libburn:

The CVSROOT is
":pserver:anonymous cvs icculus org:/cvs/cvsroot", the password is
"anonymous", and the module is "burn".

  That about sums it up for now. I am trying to push for a release, at
least a preview release, in the next month or two. As always, we are
willing to listen to the flames and trolling of the open source world,
and hope to get some positive feedback on our plans.

--
Sean Harshbarger

http://harshy.homelinux.org - Personal Website
http://coaster.sourceforge.net - Coaster - The Gnome CD Burner

"So ya...this squirrel just pops out of nowhere." -Adam Powers