Re: [gnome-love] GStreamer plans and TODO

On Sat, 2003-04-19 at 15:06, iain wrote:
> On Sat, 2003-04-19 at 14:55, Bastien Nocera wrote:

> > > I think I've already given an example about why that doesn't work.
> >
> > And I've already explained that a hidden configuration option was good
> > enough for those 1% that need to work around crappy drivers, or bugs in
> > the sound output plugins/frameworks.
>
> I said it wasn't a driver issue or a bug in the sound output
> plugins/frameworks. Its a simple case that my soundcard simply does not
> handle certain (common) audio formats.

So that's either a bug in the driver, that doesn't advertise correctly
which formats are supported, or in the framework for not testing
properly if these formats are supported.

> Other reasons why a capplet might be useful, given a system with OSS,
> Alsa, ARTS, ESD, MAS installed, how does one automagically decide which
> to use?

That's another discussion altogether... On a GNOME/Linux platform, it
would properly test for the presence and current use of the sound
servers, then ALSA, then OSS.

xine plugins use "priorities" for that.

Cheers

--