Re: esd question

Hi,

> the problem is how to create a specific user for this server to
> run as. if i run it as myself, the jukebox only works when i am
> currently logged into X (presumably because i own /dev/dsp when
> i'm logged into X). if i create a user called "dj" and run the
> jukebox server as that user, it never works (presumably because
> dj never owns /dev/dsp). if i run it as root, it works all the
> time but i'd really rather not run it as root.

Not really sure if this is gnome-related, not even sure if esd has
anything to do with it, but here's my shot at it ;-)

check man console.perms - it explains some things about the permission
stuff Red Hat uses for the console.

Basically, look for a line with <sound> that has permission settings,
and either change 600 to 666 to give everyone write access if security is
not an issue, or make a group "sound", put the users in it that you want
to have soundcard write access, and change the perms to 660.

Hope that helps,
Thomas

I'm alive.
I can tell because of the pain.
<-*- thomas  (at) apestaart (dot) org -*->