gmix problem: no "synth" volume slider -- gnome-media-1.2.3-ximian.1

When using gmix, I see every volume slider except under "Synth". My sound card can play midi files. It was configured with sndconfig, and playmidi will actually work. How can I change the volume of FM synthesized sounds? Any help would be appreciated, and please let me know if this is not an appropriate forum for this question.

Sound card (from sndconfig): CS4235 Audio:CTRL

There is a line in /etc/modules.conf that looks like this:
alias synth0 opl3

--

Adam Monsen

"All hail Free Software! All Hail GNU/Linux!"