Re: Some topics - Standard for Defining a Collection

On Sat, 7 Oct 2000 asthomps ouray cudenver edu wrote:

> > 2. Definitions
> > a. How define a sound collection: soundtheme? soundset(MacOS)
> > soundpack?
> > b. Sound format: *.au? *.wav?
> >

> I would like to propose we create a standard file format for defining
> sound themes.  Having a single format gnome developers can use to
> import an intire theme would be very useful.
>
> Is there currently any "map" file to match sounds to events?  If not,
> what kind of format should be used (XML)?  With map files in place, we
> can probably work on a utility to quickly create some kind of sound
> "package" for quick redistribution.  From these mechanisms users can
> switch whole sound schemes quickly independantly of the WM theme.
>
> Anyone else like to chime in?
>
> Tony Thompson

It would be great if GNOME 2.0 could load and switch entire sound themes
at a time.  This would be very useful and should be pretty easy to do.  We
could use an XML format to describe which file maps to which sound, or we
could use filenames for it.  Since Elliot did the sound hacking in the
past, I guess we need to know:
1) Elliot - will you be doing the sound work for GNOME 2.0?
2) If so, what do you think about loading entire themes at a time?

Dan