Re: [gnome-mud] Gmane

> I assume gmane does little to hide real email addresses of posters?
> Will that be a harvest-feast for spammers?

The web interface provides a similar level of obfuscation as the gnome.org
online archives (Gnome uses "mikeginou bigfoot com" whereas Gmane uses
"mikeginou <at> bigfoot.com"). There is a claim by the gmane
administrators that this is a sufficient level of obfuscation, whether you
agree or not is another matter.

The newsgroup message do NOT contain obfuscated e-mail addresses.

An address encryption scheme can be used. If this is a concern for you
then please check out http://gmane.org/tmda.php.

Incidentally, here's why I'd like to add this list to Gmane: As a new user
I'm interested in reading the news on the mailing list (and asking
questions and receiving answers). As a user (as opposed to a developer),
my interest isn't such that I really want to receive messages in my inbox
(even for a low traffic list).  Also, I'm likely to check the list
infrequently. Catching up with batches of messages is much easier using a
newsgroup client than a non-threaded e-mail client.