[gnome-mud] Stuff to do

We've been talking on IRC about what stuff should be done next.
Aravi is working on fixing this and that of the Python stuff.
Uranus is currently fighting MSP/gstreamer support.
Robin has finished the first bit of the port to libglade, which is what
we consider the major change for 0.11.x. While doing the libglade move,
we want to redesign/rework many dialogs in the app that are utterly
broken, usability-wise.

For example, the connection wizard has a lot of room for improvement,
the mudlist dialog should need some changes (like adding a close button
at the bottom of the window, for instance), and the profiles editor I
think that should be redesigned from scratch, because right now it's
quite bad. My initial idea is having an initial window with the list of
profiles that you can edit, and the edit window has all of variables,
triggers and keybindings, or something like that. Different windows for
this is quite unintuitive, I think.

I have been thinking about the App menu distribution too. Right now, we
have:

File | Settings | Help

with contents that are quite messy.

I think

File | Edit | Plugins | Help

may be better, where File items include the connect and log stuff, close
window and quit; Edit includes Preferences, Wizard (can anyone come up with
another name for this? ;), Mudlist (not sure about this, because we really
don't edit it, so probably File is the place for it) and Mapper; Plugins
hold menu entries possibly included by plugins (not possible atm, I
think), plus the different plugin configuration dialogs; Help is good as
is, probably.

Another quite important issue right now is the lack of charset selection
support, so right now, everything that gm sends to muds is UTF-8, and
everything it shows is suppossed to be UTF-8, while this should be
configurable (per session and per mud basis, probably). This breaks
quite badly on my latin1-based mud, for example :)

There's probably more stuff to say, but that's all I can remember about
now. Any comments, takers, etc? Robin probably can accept
help/suggestions/patches with libglade, and probably everything else
too.

We also want to hear from users... what do they miss in gnome-mud, and
what they would change. Ideas?

Jordi
jordi sindominio net     jordi debian org     http://www.sindominio.net/
GnuPG public key information available at http://oskuro.net/~jordi/