sound problems with gnome

Hello list,
I have recently installed debian testing, created a (TEMPORARY) user
account, logged in and all was fine. However, since my home directory
is on a network file server and my real acount is controlled by NIS,
when I logged in as a regular user the sound does not work and when
openning the mixer applet I get "No volume control elements and/or
devices found.". This leads me to think that something in my .gnome*
is causing this so I delted them all but that did not help. It seems
there is some wrong configuration stored somewhere. Any ideas?

Thanks
Eli