Keyboard Layout Problem

I prefer to have the control key on the caps lock, so I used the gnome
keyboard preferences application to make it so.  However, my settings
(compose key on right alt, ctrl/cl swap) aren't applied when I reboot
or relogin.  I have to go into the applet, where they are visually
saved, and fiddle around with it a bit in order to get it to "take."

I am on a nearly fresh install of Debian testing.  Gnome 2.12.3,
Xorg 6.9.0, and metacity.