Re: Removing entries from the GNOME "Applications" menu

Hi Michael;

On Tue, 2006-25-07 at 22:37 -0400, Michael Woinoski wrote:
> I installed the newest OpenOffice release on on RedHat EL WS 4 and I want to
> remove the old OpenOffice menu entries from the GNOME Applications menu. I've
> tried the techniques described in the GNOME documentation:
> 1. Right-click item > "Remove This Item" ("Remove" is disabled, even for root)
> 2. Point Nautilus to applications:/// (fails with message "read-only disk").

There should also be a 'Edit menu' item in this Context menu.

> I've also searched for the menu definitions in a config file somewhere in the
> file system but can't find anything.
>
> I've tried Google, "find", "Help", GNOME mailing list archives...no luck. Anyone
> know how to remove a menu entry from a GNOME menu?

I can suggest two ways.

     1. If you are using Gnome 2.14.+, right click on the
        'Applications' ('Menu') panel icon.  The context menu includes
        'Edit Menus'.  Click on that item and a menu editor opens up.
        You can go through the 'Applications' tree and pick which items
        to turn on and off with a mouse button click in a check box.
     2. I have installed, from Fedora Extras, a menu editor program in
        Accessories a menu editor program called Alacarte.  It is
        similar to the built in editor but allows you to do a few extra
        things like adding programs and icons.

I use Fedora Core 5, but as long as you have Gnome 2.14 or greater both
should work I would think.
--
Regards Bill