Where Is "File Types and Programs" Tool?

The "Gnome 2.8 Desktop User Guide" describes how to start the "File Types and Programs" preference tool this way:

   Applications -> Desktop Preferences -> Advanced
   -> File types and programs

What are they talking about? Is this on the main menu or in one of the configuration tools?

My main menu doesn't have anything named "Applications". It does have an entry named "Desktop" and under it "Preferences" but nowhere in there a menu named "Advanced".

I'm using the plain vanilla version of Gnome that comes with Redhat Fedora Core 4.

Kent