Applications menu inactive

Some how my Applications menu got disabled. This is true for all users. The only thing I did was to create a folder in /usr/share/applications. Then I removed it. Ever since the Applications menu is not responding to any clicks. It just gets highlighted. I reinstalled all RPMs for gnome. But no dice.

I am running CentOS 4.3. I don't know how to tell which version of gnome I am running. Here is the rpms though:
gnome-vfs2-2.8.2-8.2
gnome-desktop-2.8.0-5.centos4

Any help?

thx