Re: Developing an applet using a scripting language

On Mon, 2006-04-17 at 13:22 +0300, Tomer wrote:
> I'd like to know whether it's possible to develop a GNOME applet using a
> scripting language, like perl or python.
>
> If it's possible, where can I find information about it, i.e. a
> tutorial, a how-to or just a sample code?
http://www.google.com/search?q=gnome+applet+python - the first hit is
exactly what you're asking for; a tutorial & same code.

Similar searching for "gnome applet perl" isn't quite as successful, but
searching for "gtk perl applet" brings up

http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gtk-perl-list/2004-June/msg00018.html

indicating that Gnome::PanelApplet has some issues, and at a quick
glance it looks like that code hasn't been touched in ~2 years since
that message was sent. That being said, it points you towards an example
that does a notification area icos in perl, so that appears to be
possible if it meets your needs.