Re: Help viewer crashing

On 5/18/05, Shaun McCance <shaunm gmail com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-05-17 at 21:21 -0500, kareemy wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I am experiencing 3 different types of undesired behavior recently in
> > gnome 2.10 all related to clicking help within an application.
> >
> > In gconf-editor when I click Help>Contents, it crashes. A pop up comes
> > up with "The Application "gconf-editor" has quit unexpectedly". I am
> > using optimized builds of gnome so a backtrace was not very helpful.
> > Clicking the Help button in bug-buddy also has the same result.
> >
> > In the gnome-game gataxx clicking Help>Contents does absolutely
> > nothing. No errors are reported. This happens in many other
> > applications, gataxx was just an example.
> >
> > Finally in Keyboard preferences and other preferences windows clicking
> > the Help button causes an Error dialog to pop up claiming "There was
> > an error displaying help: There is no default action associated with
> > this location."
> >
> > I firmly believe I messed something up, but cannot figure out what it
> > was. I modifed /desktop/gnome/applications/help_viewer entry in
> > gconf-editor once before, but I believe I set it back to its original
> > setting. The field accepts_urls is checked, exec = "nautilus",
> > needs_term is unchecked.
> >
> > The environmental variable $XDG_DATA_DIRS is set to
> > "/usr/share:/opt/gnome-2.10/share"
> >
> > Does anyone have any ideas of what I can check or test to figure out
> > what I messed up here?
>
> Nautilus hasn't been used as the help viewer for a long time.
> Set exec to "yelp".
>
> --
> Shaun

Still experiencing the same problems. I know yelp is the help program,
but I was almost certain that the default/original setting in my gnome
2.10.1 installation had nautilus as the help-viewer in the exec field.
Either way, no luck yet. Are there any other settings associated with
the help viewer or what is the process that goes on when you click the
Help icon in an application so I can try to trace what isn't working.