Re: end-user whines about 2.10

On Tue, 2005-29-03 at 10:40 -0800, Randy Bush wrote:
> using 2.10 on freebsd 6-current
>
>   o i can't seem to find a biff for the panel.  inbox monitor
>     seems to have disappeared or something, and addtopanel offers
>     nothing obvious to replace it.
>
>     mail/mail-notification does not cut it as a replacement, as
>     i can start and configure it, but nothing appears in the
>     panel.  and with 500 msgs a day, popups i just don't need.

AFAIK this was a temporary regression due to something quite broken in
the old monitor (security?) and the replacement not quite ready. You can
google or contact the applets maintainer (Davyd Madeley) if you need the
details.

>   o the wireless applet seems to have changed to some sort of
>     useless flashing pixmap of a screen.  where did the signal
>     strength meter, an ever so useful device, go?
>
>     the a purple icon next to the flashing monitors in the
>     network monitor signal strength is not as useful, i really
>     liked the percentage.
>
>     and how to get rid of those silly monitors?  also, the
>     preferences/configure option seems not to work, "The
>     interface does not exist," when indeed ath0 does and shows on
>     those lovely flashing monitors.

This applet was written by Sun for JDS and considered better than the
the previous one. I'm not sure why the signal strength and silly
monitors aren't good enough, but you are welcome to file a bug report
and/or submit a patch.

The "does not exists" is a real bug, but I suspect it may be due to a
configuration error on your part. If you're willing to troubleshoot the
problem I'm sure you can get the cooperation of Davyd or some other
hacker.

>   o i still have not figured out how to get my own separate
>     custom application menu back.  it was great as a folder set
>     in applications:///.  see just to the right of the main menu
>     foot in <http://rip.psg.com/~randy/panel.jpg> for my 2.8
>     panel section.  sorry, i could not figure out how to take a
>     screenshot while the hierarchic menu folder was open.
>
>     custom drawers don't cut it.  maybe if you don't have a
>     complex hierarchy of them and need to label each drawer so
>     you know what you're doing.  and they're screen sticky!

This is another temporary regression due to the switch to freedsktop.org
menu spec which rendered the old way into so much useless code. A very
basic editor is now available from cvs, with a more feature-full one
coming for 2.12.

If you're not afraid of the commandline and a little XML, its pretty
easy customize that way until the GUI comes. If you want to know how,
just ask.

> clues solicited
>
> randy

Cheers,