Gnome clock wrong - hardware clock on local time

My system is a P4 - Debian Sarge - Gnome 2.8

It is a dual-boot system, also running Win98. Since Win98 can't handle setting the hardware clock to UTC, the hardware clock is set to local time (EST = UTC - 5).

In Windows, the clock shows the correct local time, before booting Linux, and after returning from it.

When I boot Linux, the Gnome desktop shows UTC.

Example: The time is now 21:43 EST = 02:43 UTC.

If I open a terminal window (in Gnome), the "date" command displays:

Thu Mar 24 02:45:47 UTC 2005

The Gnome clock is showing Thu 24 March, 02:45 (correct, IF it is UTC)

BUT, if I right-click on the Gnome clock, select "Adjust Date and Time", enter the root passsword, I get the Gnome "Time and date settings" dialogue, which shows that the time zone is "America/Toronto", i.e. EST, but the time it is displyaing is UTC time.

I've searched debian.user and gnome-list without finding anything relevant.

Oh yes, I've got chrony installed. I've edited chrony.conf from the default setting to tell chrony that the real time clock is NOT on UTC; from chrony.conf:

# If the last line of this file reads 'rtconutc' chrony will assume that
# the CMOS clock is on UTC (GMT).  If it reads '# rtconutc' or is absent
# chrony will assume local time.  The line (if any) was written by the
# chrony postinst based on what it found in /etc/default/rcS.  You may
# change it if necessary.  The next line is just a marker for the postinst.
# You can delete it if you wish.
# POSTINSTMARKER
# rtconutc

Any comments would be welcome.