problems with gnome panels

Hello!
I'm working in a new knoppix-based distribution and I'm customizing some aspects
of gnome. Now, I have problems because I try to put a personalized menu in the
gnome panel. My question is the following, what XML files I have to modify to
put the menu on the panel??
Actually I'm doing this:
-> in etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults/schemas/apps/panel/default_profiles/medium:
I have some documentation that talks about to put a new menu object in the
objects directory and append a new line in the %gconf.xml of the general
directory to put the new object on the panel.

Result: I don't have any definition of an object in the objects directory and I
think that my gnome version don't works like that...

-> in etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults/apps/panel/default_setup
I have definitions of the menu bar, nautilus, the launch object to get xterm...
For this I think that I have to modify something here, but the only thing that I
obtain is a copy of the menu_bar on the panel. This is because if I copy the
%gconf.xml of the menu bar it appears on the panel but if I modify something
don't appears or gnome crashes..

I hope you can understand my poor english...

Thank you

Xavi