.Trash not working properly

When I move something to the trash folder, the trash icon doesn't swith to "full mode", nor does the trash contain anything when I double-click to open it. Also, when I do move something to it, it gets sent to the ~/.Trash folder, but I can't empty it from the icon. For example, I have two windows open, one for "~/.Trash" and another for "trash:"... I drag something to "trash:" and it appears in "~/.Trash" but nothing shows up in the "trash:" folder.

I've checked that famd is running and it definately is. Can anyone tell me what's happening here?