Re: Change default application for file type?

> >>I am running Gnome 2.10 on a Debian Sid system. Currently, if I open an
> >>mp3 file, from within a file browser window, the file is opened and
> >>played by Totem. I would like it the default to be for it to open in
> >>XMMS. How can I change this??
> >
> > Use Nautilus, right click on any .mp3 file, chose "Open with other
> > Application" and set it to xmms. If xmms isn't in the lust of apps, use
> > "Use a custom command".
>
> Doing that only opens the file for that one time in XMMS. I want to
> change the default from Totem to Xmms. When I right click on the file,
> at the top of the context menu, I see: Open with "Totem Movie Player".
> Below that, I see the Open With menu entry. Using that to open the file
> with XMMS doesn't make XMMS the default. It simply opens the file in
> XMMS at that time.

Hmm, right -- it does not set the default. Anyway, if you followed the
steps mentioned above, there is a new context (right click) menu entry
  Open with "xmms"

To make this the default see the steps that I already mentioned in my

  All currently available apps (as in the context menu) and the default
  one to run a particular file type with are accessible by: Nautils, right
  click on a file, "Open With".

So to make xmms the default, just use this and enable the checker next
to "xmms".

FWIW, in that Properties tab you can add the application of your choice
as well.

...guenther