Re: Moving windows between monitors w/o xinerama

Chris Hoffman wrote:
> Dear Sirs,
>   I have recently installed Ubuntu, which comes with the Gnome
> desktop.  As I don't want to make ripples in the water just yet with
> my configuration, I decided to make it work the way I want it to.  So,
> the first thing I did was to add dual-monitor support in the form of
> the proprietary fglrx ati driver.
>   All is working fine, except that I am dissatisfied with the "two
> monitors, two drivers" concept.  Basically, I like the ability to
> maximize windows to their own partition, but would like the same
> features of xinerama otherwise.  For example, I do a lot of image
> editing with the GIMP, and I am currently unable to put all of the
> tools windows on one monitor while having the image on the other.  Are
> there any ways of getting this functionality?
>   Keep in mind that, when moving GIMP windows, these windows must
> still remain in communication with each other; that is, each window is
> just a part of a whole, so the interoperability must be maintained.
> Thanks.

What ATI chip do you have?  I have a laptop with Radeon Mobility 9600,
and I've got that set up with Xinerama.  When I maximize a window, it
maximizes to whichever monitor it is on.  I have no trouble dragging
between the two monitors.  Not sure I understand your objection to
Xinerama.  What is it doing that you do not like?

--
Guy Rouillier