Permissions problem

I have recently installed X.org 6.8.1.99 and have trouble starting Gnome-2.8. It seems to be some sort of permission problem.

The X11 lock files are created with uid/gid of root/<my user name> and it seems gnome-session wants both root. If I start X/Gnome once as root, then I can go ahead and start X/Gnome as myself. Anyone have an insight as to what could be wrong?

$ /usr/local/gnome28/bin//gnome-session
_IceTransmkdir: ERROR: euid != 0,directory /tmp/.ICE-unix will not be created.
_IceTransSocketUNIXCreateListener: mkdir(/tmp/.ICE-unix) failed, errno = 2
_IceTransMakeAllCOTSServerListeners: failed to create listener for local

** (gnome-session:30749): WARNING **: Cannot establish any listening sockets

Fred

Error Loading Explorer.exe
You must reinstall Windows.