Mixer applet not working

Hi list,

I use Gnome 2.8.3 on Debian Sarge on a amd64 machine.

Sound on this box woks fine, i can play mp3s with xmms and watch movies with mplayer. I can also control the volume with theese apps.

What does not work, is the mixer applet in the panel. I can drag the slider upwards, but it immediately snaps down again.

I have not been able to find out which device file the mixer applet tries to use, the help is very sparse. Trying to open the volume control yields:

Sorry, no mixer elements and/or devices found

Again, which devices is it trying to open ???

Thanks for any help,

	Heinrich
--

Heinrich Rebehn

University of Bremen
Physics / Electrical and Electronics Engineering
- Department of Telecommunications -

Phone : +49/421/218-4664
Fax   :            -3341