Centralized desktop/screen preference

Hi,

I've been playing with GNOME for a while and it struck me that there's no central place to handle desktop/screen perferences to change e.g. the background, screen saver, screen resolution, etc. Is there a specific reason for this? Unlike Windows, GNOME provides only an option to change the background when you right-click the desktop. Why not create a Windows style properties dialog to allow users to change all the desktop/screen perferences in a centralized location? This would also clean up the "System - Preferences" menu a bit since all the desktop/screen perferences are listed separately now.

Age