sound problem

I have been having problems with my sound from day one, The only thing that works is streaming music from another computer or playing mp3 on this computer. If I use system sounds X lock ups.

Same results in KDS

The error i get now from xmms is:
Please check that:
Your sound card is configured properly
You have the correct output plug in selected
No other program is blocking the sound card

Error I get from most other programs is:
Error while initializing the sound driver:
device /dev/dsp can't be opened (No such device)

The sound server will continue, using the null output device

The /dev/dsp is on my system owned by root, group of audio

I would also like to get all speakers working on my system.

My system is a:
AMD 2.6
FIC AU13 motherboard
On board sound nforce2 6 channel