peculiar gnome-python/pygtk error

I'm new to this list, and I'm not quite sure if this is the correct list to post on, but oh well. Here is my current dilemna. Right now, I'm trying to update gnome-python. First, when I go to try to install gnome-python, I get this error:

checking for pygtk-2.0 >= 2.4.0... Package pygtk-2.0 was not found in the pkg-co nfig search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `pygtk-2.0.pc'
No package 'pygtk-2.0' found

configure: error: Library requirements (pygtk-2.0 >= 2.4.0) not met; consider ad justing the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable if your libraries are in a nons tandard prefix so pkg-config can find them.

And that's not so much of an issue. All I would need to do is update pygtk. So I go to do that, but I'm encountered with this error:

checking for GLIB - version >= 2.4.0...
*** 'pkg-config --modversion glib-2.0' returned 2.4.0, but GLIB (2.4.7)
*** was found! If pkg-config was correct, then it is best
*** to remove the old version of GLib. You may also be able to fix the error
*** by modifying your LD_LIBRARY_PATH enviroment variable, or by editing
*** /etc/ld.so.conf. Make sure you have run ldconfig if that is
*** required on your system.
*** If pkg-config was wrong, set the environment variable PKG_CONFIG_PATH
*** to point to the correct configuration files
no
configure: error: maybe you want the pygtk-2-2 branch?

And then I'm totally lost as to what to do. Help/suggestions anyone?

distro: libranet, if that helps

Thanks for any help :)

-Andy