Re: [SLE] Has The performance been forgotten?

My friend,

If we continue to defend disadvantages with prejudice
or dogma, we'll have never improvements.

1- Doesn't Windows scan for new hardwares?

2- Is any antivirus working inside SuSE to slow down
it?!! Or there may be a firewall that makes
applications run late!

3- Isn't the NTFS journal-based fs? In the other hand,
file-copy processes in linux show that the hard-drive
and file-system are working well.

Thank you for your notice,
Bahram.

--------------------------------
"Ben Higginbottom" wrote:
--------------------------------

1- So in other words your linux installation is
running services it doesnt need if its acting as a
desktop. I'd also imagine its still running hardware
scan at boot.

2- So in other words it isnt fully patched, firewalled
and has antivirus running. Let alone have useful
programs installed such as an office suite, a decent
webbrowser and so on.

3- It does however contaminiate the kernel, and the
module is loaded anyway at boot.

4- Hitting the konsole icon on kooldock takes it about
2 seconds to lauch on my laptop. At the time it was
running at 800Mhz and had 84 tasks running when I ran
top on it.

5- Suse 9.1 ships with Gnome 2.4, as does RH9. Suse
does not provide 2.6 rpms, but they do host ones built
by a 3rd party but do not support or recommend them.
The 2.8 rpms have just been built by James Ogley on
his rather spiffy ew laptop according to his blog and
are available via apt.

6- My desktop (usually xfce4, but today kde) is plenty
fast for me. If its not for you, then use something
else.

7- What filesystem are you using fro Xp? 98 will be
fat32 - a non journaled fs, which will be faster but
at the cost of data integrity.

8- I dont have to, even on my old 500Mhz box.

9-Try a stage 2 gentoo install, it'll optimise for
your system, and given your badwidth and cpu keep you
busy untill at least march.

Regards,

Ben